Diet For Your Eyes: Improve Eyesight By Eating These 10 Superfoods
Wondering how to improve your eyesight? You can support good eyesight throughout your life by eating plenty of food good for eyes. Several powerful superfoods will help you maintain keen, clear eyesight between eye examinations.
Let’s meet some of them:
- Kale: The eyesight benefits of kale are most powerful when eaten raw. It can be used as part of a salad or smoothie. The leaves also can be baked, turning them into tasty kale chips.
- Corn: When you cook corn, you unleash powerful lutein and zeaxanthin, both good for eyes. It can be eaten alone or added to soups, casseroles, chili and more.
- Spinach: A cup of spinach contains a massive dose of lutein and zeaxanthin. Cooking it makes it easier for the body to process the lutein. It’s great in salads and pita wraps.
- Broccoli: With vitamin C, beta carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin, broccoli have most of what your eyes need. It works well raw or cooked, in salads, pasta sauces or anywhere.
- Eggs: Eggs come packed with lutein, vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids. Look at the label: Some eggs have even been fortified with or bred to include additional vitamins.
- Oranges: Vitamin C is emerging as a powerful way to defend the health of eye tissues. Virtually nothing else out there has quite as much vitamin C as oranges and other citrus fruits.
- Carrots: Although carrots’ reputation for helping you see in the dark is a little bit overstated, they do help your body generate vitamin A, which improves light absorption in the eyes.
- Blueberries: Like carrots, blueberries have been associated with good eyesight since night operations in World War II. Their anthocyanosides help eyes adjust to low-light levels.
- Salmon and Tuna: Oily fish like salmon and tuna are filled to the brim with omega-3 fatty acids. These support your eyes and many allied systems throughout the body.
- Nuts and Beans: Non-meat proteins like beans and nuts are essential in helping your cells rebuild from ordinary wear and tear. Eyes need them after a long day of work.
Vision Care Specialists
Eating right is essential to improve eyesight at every stage of life. However, it can’t do all the work alone. Be sure to see an eye doctor and get an eye exam at least once a year. At Vision Care Specialists, we’ve helped Colorado patients since 1974. Contact us today to learn more.