High Altitude Dry Eye Syndrome
Denver Eye Care – Treating High Altitude Dry Eye Syndrome
Certain eye problems require specialty attention. The eye doctors of Vision Care Specialists provide the attention necessary to address your specialty eye care needs.
— Donald T., Aurora Location
“I enjoy my visits with Dr. Thompson. She takes time to explain what she is doing while administering the examinations and what effects I can expect from chronic dry eyes. She is very professional and thorough in all exams, I enjoy my annual visits with her.”
Why does High Altitude Cause Dry Eye Syndrome?
High Altitude Dry Eye Syndrome occurs when you do not produce enough tears to lubricate and nourish the front part of the eye. Dryness can also be from poor quality tears as well. Both forms can be chronic and cause corneal damage over time.
Signs & Symptoms:
Redness, burning, itching, scratchiness, excess tearing, light sensitivity and blurred vision.
- Age: more common with increasing age
- Gender: more common in women, especially if postmenopausal
- Medications: Side effects of many medications, such as antihistamines, decongestants, beta blockers, antidepressants and birth control pills.
- Medical Conditions: Autoimmune diseases, such as Lupus, Sarcoidosis and Rheumatoid Arthritis, Diabetes Mellitus, estrogen deficiencies, and blepharitis
- Environmental Conditions: low humidity, wind exposure, poor air quality, smoking & excessive computer screen time
- Contact Lens Over-wear: Giving your eyes a break from contacts and switching to daily disposable contact lenses can improve dry eye
- Refractive Eye Surgery: LASIK can decrease tear production
In addition to a thorough history of risk factors and a slit lamp biomicroscopy (eye microscope), your Colorado eye doctor may use special dyes may be instilled to better observe tear flow and highlight potential ocular damage.
How to Fix Dry Eyes:
- Tear supplement eye drops, punctal occlusion, medications, such as Restasis, lid hygiene care, and omega 3 supplements (tryglyceride form only)
- Stay hydrated
Call today at 303-991-9600 or request an appointment online